There are maker-related events all year round in 2016 in the greater Houston area. Here are some key events so you can plan ahead:
- 3/18-19: Greater Houston Hamfest focusing on amateur radio (Ft Bend County Fairgrounds, Rosenberg)
- 4/2-3: Science Hack Day Houston. Crams bright creative minds together for almost 48 hours to see what amazing things emerge! (The Houston Museum of Natural Science)
- 4/8-9: Lone Star Robotics Regional, one of the largest robotics tournaments in Texas. Check this out to see firsthand what “sports for the mind” can do! (GRB CC)
- 4/9: Houston Art Car Parade (note: the route has changed for this year — it will follow Smith St. in downtown Houston)
- 6/17-19: Maker Hall @ Comicpalooza. Bringing science fiction together with science fact — what’s better than that?! (GRB CC)
- 6/23-25: the MATE International ROV (robotics) Competition (the subject of the movies “Spare Parts” and “Underwater Dreams”) is in town! The venue doesn’t have much viewing area so you won’t be able to get in, but this is so cool we just have to list it. And they will stream a video feed from the event.
- 7/9-10: the Brick Fiesta LEGO fan event and exhibition happens at the Galleria. Open to the public for a small entry fee, this event is for you and your kids if you love LEGO bricks or just want to learn more about the artistic, creative and engineering side of this ubiquitous building block. The models on display will be amazing! (Galleria)
- 11/12-13: the Houston Mini Maker Faire returns to the GRB for a larger 2-day event! Come join us as we amp up the volume on invention and creativity in the Greater Houston Area! (GRB CC)
- April 2017: the FIRST Robotics Championship, the world-class international competition, will be in Houston. As many as 50,000 visitors will travel here to participate and watch. (GRB CC, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park)
We will update this list as new events are published.